Friday, August 31, 2012

Evelyn "Blondie" Elsie (Medenwaldt) Stack


Job 19 - 21 Have mercy on me, have mercy on me, O you my friends,
    for the hand of God has touched me!
22 Why do you, like God, pursue me?
    Why are you not satisfied with my flesh?
23 “Oh that my words were written!
    Oh that they were inscribed in a book!
24 Oh that with an iron pen and lead
    they were engraved in the rock forever!
25 For I know that my Redeemer lives,
    and at the last he will stand upon the earth.[a]
26 And after my skin has been thus destroyed,
    yet in[b] my flesh I shall see God,
27 whom I shall see for myself,
    and my eyes shall behold, and not another.
    My heart faints within me!

Revelation 2:10 - 10 Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and for ten days you will have tribulation. Be faithful unto death, and I will give you the crown of life.

John 14:1-6 - “Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God;[a] believe also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?[b] And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. And you know the way to where I am going.”[c] Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Grace, mercy and peace to you, from God our Father through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  Amen.  Our text today is the Gospel lesson, along with Evelyn’s confirmation verse.  Dear friends in Christ, especially Arlo, Eileen, and all other family and friends.  I hope there’s still room for me in heaven when I die.  One of the family members told me that this had often been Blondie’s prayer.  I hope there’s a room for me.  On this day, Blondie knows the answer to that question.  She has lived her life for 90 plus years, and now she is before the throne of God, in the room prepared for her since before the beginning of the world. 
I am sure, that Evelyn, just like you, and just like me, made this prayer out of a little nervousness.  I hope there’s a place in heaven for me, because I know myself, I know my own sin, I know my own guilt.  And so I hope that there really is a place in heaven for a poor miserable sinner like me.  I hope I can be forgiven, I hope I can be worthy, I hope that I have that promise of life, and life to the full.
This is even the same hope that Evelyn’s confirmation verse states, “Be faithful unto death, and I will give you the crown of life.”  Have I been faithful enough?  Have I done enough?   Is there a room in heaven for me?  Or will I be left out, will I be cast out into the outer darkness where there’s weeping and gnashing of teeth?
Where is our hope in this world of sin?  For we know it is not within ourselves.  We look even at Evelyn, and as nice, as faithful, as ornery, and as kind of a woman as she was she still had her doubts and worries.  She still wondered if she was good enough, or if she deserved that place in heaven.  And later in life, she was more forgetful about where she was and when it was.  Sin infects us all dear friends, and it looms large with doubts and questions.  Where is our hope, where do we turn?  Or are we left out?
And yet, Christ says in our text, “Let not your hearts be troubled.” “In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.”  Christ answers our questions with a promise.  Yes, if you believe in me, there will be a room for you in heaven.  In faith in me, you will be brought to be with God forever in heaven. 
And so today as we gather to mourn, we also have a sure and certain answer to questions.  Today as we weep, and hurt, we know the truth, that the Way, the Truth, and the Life keeps his promises to his faithful people.  Today as we grieve, we have no doubt that for Blondie, for that sweet old lady whose teeth were always loose, who always asked if we had the horses properly put away, and who was forgetful in so many other places, that for her Christ kept his promise, and that she now has her room in heaven forever. 
We are certain of this, for Christ has died for her, he has suffered for her, he went to the cross for her, and he rose again for her.  And Christ has not forgotten Evelyn, he will not forget her, and he has brought her to be with him forever.  And the truth is dear friends, this is the promise for you as well.  There is a room in heaven for you as well.  Jesus has died for you also.  And Christ will not forget you either. 
Today we weep, and today we mourn.  It is right that we do.  And yet, “Let not your hearts be troubled,” for today, Evelyn has the crown of life.  Today she stands before the throne of God, and with her own eyes, she sees God.  And one day, when Christ returns, with her own flesh, though it be destroyed by the wears and weights of this world, she shall behold Jesus, and not another.  And we shall be there too, for there is room in heaven for you, for me, and for dear Blondie.  And Christ will bring us all to be there. 
Today Evelyn has the crown of life.  Today she is in heaven.  Today she is at peace, restored to perfection through Jesus Christ her Lord.  Through Jesus, there is room for you as well.  Praise be to God, and to Him alone be all glory!  Amen!