Friday, August 17, 2012

Alvin Roy Schubert - 2012 - Funeral



Job 19:21-27                           Revelation 2:10                       Matthew 27:45-54; 28:1-6

Grace, mercy and peace to you from God our Father through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  Amen.  Our text today is Alvin’s confirmation verses from the book of Revelation to St. John, especially these words, “Be faithful unto death, and I will give you the crown of life.”  Thus far our text. 
Dear friends in Christ, Norma, Adam, Mark, and Frances, Today is a difficult day.  There is no way around that.  In the course of just a few months, you have lost a mother, a grandmother, and now today, a father.  There is nothing that can describe the hurt and pain of loss that you now face today.  I’m sure you are faced with all sorts of questions, “What kind of a God could take so many people from you so quickly?  Why must we face this pain and loss?  What’s the point?  Where do I go from here?” 
Dear friends and family, we have these questions today, and in the face of these difficult questions, we have the words of Alvin’s confirmation verse:  “Be faithful unto death, and I will give you the crown of life.”  With the questions on our hearts today, these words seem so empty and broken.  We’ve lost so many loved ones.  To our eyes, Alvin is not alive.  To our hearts, there is a hole where he once was.  In our thoughts, we convince ourselves that he is gone for good. 
Be faithful unto death.  When I met with Alvin the first time after his diagnosis of terminal cancer, of death only weeks away, he was the first to admit he hadn’t always been as faithful as he should have been.  He was the first to admit that he was the chief of sinners.  He told me, “I haven’t been to church like I should pastor.  I haven’t kept prayed as I should, and now I’m out of time.”  As he told me these things, I simply said I know – and this was the truth.  Alvin faithfully confessed his sins, and as we hear them today, we know that they are our sins as well.  For none of us have prayed as we ought, none of us have been in church like we ought, none of us have been as good as we ought.  We have all sinned, we have all fallen short of God’s glory – this is most certainly true. 
And it is this sin deep within each one of us that leads us to days like today.  We suffer in this difficult world because of our sin.  We hurt, we struggle, we stumble about all trying to find a way forward.  Our world is place of death.  Our world is a place of pain.  Alvin knew that he had a slow road ahead, a road of pain during cancer, a road of increasing weakness. A road that eventually would come to its end with a dreadful demise. 
And yet these words, “be faithful unto death, and I will give you the crown of life.”  Alvin confessed his sins to me, faithfully.  And as he confessed his sin, he looked not to himself, not to his own works, but to the God who came to save him, to forgive him, to give him the crown of life, the crown that cannot tarnish or spoil, the crown that this world cannot take away.  As Alvin’s body slowly was ravaged by cancer, he slowly became weaker day by day, but his God faithfully kept him, and I tell you the truth, today has brought him out of the valley of the shadow of death into life forevermore. 
For you see, dear friends, our God is himself no stranger to death.  In fact, as you see in our Gospel lesson, the sole purpose for Christ’s coming was to die for our sin, to suffer for our weakness, to give up his life as a ransom for all.  Jesus came and was nailed onto the cross, on your behalf dear friends.  He suffered the full wrath of God for you.  He cried out “My God why have you forsaken me” as he suffered took away your sin.  Jesus was faithful unto death.  Faithful for you.  Faithful for me.  Faithful for Alvin.  Faithful for all sinners who are just like us.  And now he gives the crown of life to all who trust in him. 
This was Alvin’s hope.  This is what he trusted in his last moments.  He had the faith that Job confesses in our Old Testament lesson, “I know my redeemer lives, and after my skin has been thus destroyed, yet in my flesh I shall see God.  That’s what happens in our Gospel lesson.  Jesus dies, and the earth shook, and the rocks were split.  The tombs also were opened. And many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised, and coming out of the tombs after his resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many. 
And so too with Alvin.  In Jesus, Alvin has hope, and so do you.  In Jesus, Alvin has forgiveness, and so do you.  In Jesus Alvin shall not be dead forever, but shall live forever in God’s holy kingdom.  For Jesus was faithful for him, faithful even to death.  And so today, and even forevermore, Alvin Roy Schubert – “Ears” has the crown of life.  Amen.