Friday, August 16, 2013

2013 - Funeral - Donald Milton Bellin

Job 30 - “And now my soul is poured out within me;
    days of affliction have taken hold of me.
17 The night racks my bones,
    and the pain that gnaws me takes no rest.
18 With great force my garment is disfigured;
    it binds me about like the collar of my tunic.
19 God[c] has cast me into the mire,
    and I have become like dust and ashes.
20 I cry to you for help and you do not answer me;
    I stand, and you only look at me.
21 You have turned cruel to me;
    with the might of your hand you persecute me.
22 You lift me up on the wind; you make me ride on it,
    and you toss me about in the roar of the storm.
23 For I know that you will bring me to death
    and to the house appointed for all living.

Isaiah 41 - But you, Israel, my servant,
    Jacob, whom I have chosen,
    the offspring of Abraham, my friend;
you whom I took from the ends of the earth,
    and called from its farthest corners,
saying to you, “You are my servant,
    I have chosen you and not cast you off”;
10 fear not, for I am with you;
    be not dismayed, for I am your God;
I will strengthen you, I will help you,
    I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

John 8 - Donald's Confirmation Verse - So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”




Grace, mercy and peace to you from God our Father through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  Amen.  Our text today is the Gospel lesson read, also Donald’s Confirmation Verse, especially these words, “the truth will set you free.”.  Thus far our text. 
Dear friends in Christ, especially Helen and other family.  Some sixty three years ago, right here, in this font, Donald Milton Bellin became God’s Child in the waters of Holy Baptism.  On that day he received forgiveness of all his sins, rescue from death and the devil, and the promise of eternal salvation through the washing of rebirth and renewal in water and the word.  Just three weeks later, he was confirmed in that faith, as he confessed here that would rather die than fall away from the faith.  And as he made that promise, Pastor Micheal spoke the words of our text to him.  “The Truth will set you free,” and then you will be free indeed. 
Throughout many years of his life, these words stuck with Donald.  These words belonged to Donald as he entered the armed services, “the truth will set you free.”  They were with Donald as he moved to St. Paul and worked for many years as an electrician.  They were with Donald as he married his lovely wife Helen.  They were with Donald as he retired and moved back here to Hankinson.  The words were with Donald up until the last few days, when finally he was set free from this world indeed. 
As we talked about last night, the last few months and weeks for Donald were difficult.  His health declined quickly and steadily.  The man who liked to tell jokes and chat was nothing more than skin and bones.  The last week or so of his life, he struggled greatly.  The day before he passed, with every breath he cried out for help, “Help me” he said, “Help me to get out of the bed, help me to leave.  Help me to finally enter eternal rest.”  His cry matched that of Job in our first lesson, “And now my soul is poured out within me; days of affliction have taken hold of me.  The night racks my bones, and the pain that gnaws me takes no rest.”  And so he prayed for help.
And where does that help come from?  It comes from the promise of Donald’s Confirmation verse, “The Truth will set you free.”  Free from pain.  Free from sorrow, free from suffering, free from all the sin of the world.  Christ’s response to the shout of help is nothing else than freedom in these words, “fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”  And so on Tuesday afternoon, Donald was set free from this world, and entered eternity with God.
The price for his freedom from the pain and sorrow of this world is the very precious blood, and innocent suffering and death of God’s own Holy Son Jesus in place of Donald.  God loved Donald so much He let His Son Jesus come to this world.  He let his Son suffer, even more than Donald suffered.  He let his Son be beaten, and nailed to a cross.  He let his son’s blood pour out as a sin sacrifice and offering.  He let his Son die, to set all of us free from sin, even Donald. 
Yes, that’s right, you too are freed from the confines of this world by the Way the Truth and the Life Jesus Christ.  You too are rescued from sin death and the power of the devil, and you too have life in the blood of Jesus.  You too, just like Donald our dear departed brother, will be set free by the Truth, and if he sets you free, you will be free indeed. 

Dear friends, Today Donald has life.  And we have the promise that one day we too will have life, and be with him even forever more.  Listen to His word, and believe the truth, and the truth will set you free.  Amen.