Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day Cemetery Service 2011

The following is the Memorial Day Service done at Immanuel and St. John's.


Invocation – In the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

Amen.

6:1 O LORD, rebuke me not in your anger,
nor discipline me in your wrath.
2 Be gracious to me, O LORD, for I am languishing;
heal me, O LORD, for my bones are troubled.
3 My soul also is greatly troubled.
But you, O LORD—how long?
4 Turn, O LORD, deliver my life;
save me for the sake of your steadfast love.
5 For in death there is no remembrance of you;
in Sheol who will give you praise?
6 I am weary with my moaning;
every night I flood my bed with tears;
I drench my couch with my weeping.
7 My eye wastes away because of grief;
it grows weak because of all my foes.
8 Depart from me, all you workers of evil,
for the LORD has heard the sound of my weeping.
9 The LORD has heard my plea;
the LORD accepts my prayer.
10 All my enemies shall be ashamed and greatly troubled;
they shall turn back and be put to shame in a moment.

History is no stranger to death. Since the fall into sin, there have been those who would try to make innocent people suffer through aggression, and through violence. Cain killed Abel because he was jealous. The book of Judges is full of examples of armies attacking God’s people mercilessly over 3000 years ago. Later on in scripture the Babylonians attack Israel as well. There have been World Wars, Civil Wars, Wars in Asia and the middle East, and all of them are a terrible test of a nations strength. What a blessing than that we live in a nation and a time where we have brave souls who will stand up to defend our country. Who will purchase our freedom with their blood and with their lives.

Through out countless battles and wars, brave American soldiers have fought through rain and snow so that we may be here today. So that we can have our jobs and our homes and our families is relative safety. Today, on Memorial Day, we take time out of our peaceful safe lives, and gather together here to remember those whose blood has set us free on earth, and to give thanks for their great sacrifice. For without these men and women, we could not live the life that we live. We thank God for them, at the same time that we pray the words of our psalm saying, “How long O Lord, How long.” How long must we fight to keep our freedom? How long must we struggle for our independence? How long must we lose friends and loved ones who are defending us?

At the same time we ask that question, we know the answer. Because of our sin, this world will always have its struggles, it will always have its battles to be fought and God willing won. It will have these until finally the last day comes.

So as we gather and remember those who gave up their lives for our earthly freedom, shedding their blood for America, we must also remember Him who gave up His life for our eternal freedom, shedding His blood as a sacrifice for our sins. For as Soldiers die in battle for America, so too does Christ die in the battle for the entire world. Jesus Christ was nailed on the cross so that you might be free from all sins, from death and the devil, so that you might have eternal life away from tears, away from war, away from sorrow and fighting and death. Jesus, who with his holy precious blood purchased and won you, so that you may live apart from this world of death. Jesus is no stranger to death either, for He gave up His life, so that you might receive life, and life to the full. God’s blessings on this great day of rememberance for those slain for our freedom. Amen.

Let us pray. Dear Lord gracious heavenly Father, be here with those who today remember loved ones and friends who paid the ultimate sacrifice for our earthly freedom. Bless those who mourn. Comfort the bereaved. Point all of us to the hope of life everlasting with Jesus Christ our Lord, who gave his life so that all men might be experience freedom with you forever. Thank you for our freedom, here in America, and the promise of Freedom with you forever in your kingdom, where you live and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit, one God now and forever. Amen.
Lord remember us in your kingdom, and teach us to pray, “Our Father…”
The Lord bless you and keep you, the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you, the Look upon you with Favor, and give you peace. Amen.